Introducing Brew Master
By Arturo DelFavero, RM552
I recently received an e-mail inquiring about a newly acquired hobo nickel owned by a non-member (#2). Upon viewing, I noticed it was a match to a coin that I have owned for a number of years (#1). I also remembered that Member Chris Dempsey had sent me a photo of a third double sided specimen rendered by the same artist.
All three coins were similar in technical execution and all included Hebrew writing. I decided to focus on the Hebrew aspect by splitting the word to He- Brew. The nickname "Brew Master" was created by combining the second portion of the segmented word with a reference to the masterful and unique creations of this artist.
The carving characteristics for "Brew Master" are as follows:
- All exhibit Hebrew writing.
- All have adorned shallow derby hats with long brims.
- Ears are very close in manufacture.
- Head and facial hair is punched.
- Profile modifications on two.
- Use of engraving, punching, and liner tool shading.
- Very similar collars.
- Dates obliterated with LIBERTY mostly removed on two.