By Arturo DelFavero RM552
In May of 2012, I had the good fortune to win a coin that was a match to one owned by Steve Alpert. O.H.N.S. member Don Wolfe contacted me after a posting of both coins in the "Three's a Match" section in the Fall Bo Tales. Don believed that he had a third example and would send a picture for verification. Upon receipt of the photo it was plain to see that he was correct.
Fast forwarding to the 2013 F.U.N. show, Candace Kagin asked if I would take a look at her enormous collection of hobo nickels, and of course I obliged her. Candace's collection included many interesting coins and one that really caught my attention. It was another match. My $150.00 auction purchase had paid off and yielded a new nicknamed artist. Without further delay, I present to you "Cyrano," a reference to the large nosed, poet, musician, and duelist, etc. Cyrano de Bergerac.
The carving characteristics for "Cyrano" are listed as follows:
- Large elongated nose.
- Sculpted three dimensional hat (some with bows).
- Finely stippled head and facial hair (eye brow included).
- Nicely sculpted tall ear.
- Shoulder neck and collar work added.
- Clean field work (Two appear to be Cameo-like with a line border added).
- LIBERTY and date obliterated.
- Profiles altered.
- Two specimens have amended eyes.