Introducing Dashing Dan
By Chris Winkler RM1679
This is my second submission as a new member from the portfolio of ten coins I purchased with four known and six unknown carvers as discussed in the “Grim Reaper” nicknaming also appearing in this BoTales issue. I showed the first coin below to Arturo DelFavero and he came back with two others submitted by Chris Dempsey (LM 64).
He is quite dapper and wearing very nice clothes, I want to call him "Dashing Dan." They all share most of the same characteristics.
The diagnostic characteristics for identifying hobo nickels made by “Dashing Dan” are:
- Heavy stippling effect in the area behind the hat, running from the back of the collar around to the nose.
- Three dimensional domed hat with wrap around brim with sides curled up and a bow on the right side.
- Beards made of slightly curved punches that go up to a thick sideburn with no cheek hair.
- Similar oval ears.
- Ears set back on heads on all examples.
- Short hair on the back of the neck.
- Well dressed with thin collars and lapels.