Introducing Deep Fields
By Art DelFavero, RM552
Back in the early 2000s I was fortunate to win a carving on eBay, and to my recollection it was one of my first ten classic carvings. Sometime later I noticed a match in Verne Walrafen's short lived recent sale section of the website. Recently I discovered a third match in the recent eBay sales listings in a 2015 BoTales issue. One thing that stood out about these renderings was the unusually deep field area that this artist adopted for his cameo like works. This feature was a big stand out so I decided the appropriate nickname would be "Deep Fields.""
The carving characteristics for "Deep Fields" are as follows:
- Deep recessed fields that create the cameo effect.
- Hats with a bow adornment and brims that extend rim to rim.
- LIBERTY removed on all examples.
- Head and facial hair created with use of liner tool.
- Obscured ears.
- A deeply notched area above the nose with modifications to the nostril.
- Extremely high collars that meet the hairline towards the rear of the head.
- Large bow ties.
- Rounded shoulder areas.
- Dates removed on two specimens.