By Arturo DelFavero, RM552
In the year 2000 I was fortunate enough to purchase a classic era hobo nickel at an Ann Arbor, Michigan coin shop. My business partner and I had stopped in to buy, sell, and trade estate jewelry. I asked the owner if he had any hobos and to my surprise, he said yes one, but it wasn’t for sale. He quickly retrieved it and asked what I would offer if it were for sale, I replied $75. He pushed the coin in my direction and said you own it.
The Carving Characteristics for "Fro-Bo" are listed as follows:
- Afro-like hair on head and face.
- Tight to the chin beard.
- Similarly, constructed hats with bands, X shaped bow, and brim cutting through above LIBERTY.
- Slightly altered profiles.
- Obscured ears on two with later date carving showing a more progressed one.
- Accentuated lips.
- Unaltered eyes.
- LIBERTY and partial LIBERTY left remaining.
- Well-dressed fields.
- High collars with possible tie knot adornment.
- Dates remain on two specimens.