By Don Wolfe RM981
In December of 2007 I purchased my coin thru eBay from an East coast coin dealer for $208. The second coin I found was Lot #11 in OHNS Auction #16 in 2008 and it sold for $330 (unknown owner at that time). The third coin (the one smoking a cigarette) was found by Art DelFavero in the OHNS archives. Art located a QD form from 2004 that showed it belonged to OHNS member Bob Entlich. All the coins look to be average−high average carvings. After looking and comparing all three together, I thought that the hat band reminded me of a railroad track with the rails and cross ties, therefore the name of “Rails”
The Carving Characteristics for “Rails” are listed as follows:
- Domed hat with hatband and bow. Hatband has vertical lines and the bow has both vertical & horizontal lines.
- Hat brim is flat or nearly so formed with two lines.
- Large ear set back on the head with about half of the ear covered by the hat.
- Profile may be altered by notch at top of the nose.
- Punched hair and beard.
- Stickpin with radiating lines from it on a well defined collar.
- Date removed and LIBERTY partially or fully removed.