Introducing Rocky Roads
By Arturo DelFavero RM552 with DonWolfe RM981
In February of 2011 I picked up average rendering on eBay for the fair price of $88. During the auction I had worried if someone had noticed that there was a match on page 15 in Steve Alpert's book. To my surprise it seems no one did, and I ended up walking away a happy collector.
The two matching carvings went on to be featured in the summer 2011 BoTales “Three is a Match” section. Shortly after this, a very savvy collector named Don Wolfe found a match in his own collection. Noticing that the fields of each coin were pebbled, we decided to nickname him “Rocky Roads”.
The Carving Characteristics for “Rocky Roads” are listed as follows:
- Pebbled or rocky looking field.
- Shorter Derby style hats with curved down brim.
- Large “XXX” hash marks on collar/shoulder area.
- All hair punched in with point tool (same as used in field).
- Engraving used to create ear collar and hat.
- Profiles changed.