Introducing Round Shoulder
By Art DelFavero RM552
Back in April of 2007 I sent a photograph and a story to Verne Walrafen which he posted on the OHNS website. It told of my thirteen year pursuit and success to purchase a nickel from a fellow antique dealer. After said purchase, I discovered two more specimens that matched it in style, thus fitting the criteria for properly nicknaming this artist who I am calling “Round Shoulder.” Specimen #1 was purchased on 7-24-02 in an eBay auction for the sum of $132.25. Specimen #2 was purchased in the OHNS 2005 auction for the sum of $357.50. Specimen #3 (my nickel) was purchased in April of 2007 for $175.00, averaging $221.58 across the board.
The carving characteristics for “Round Shoulder” are listed as follows:
- All fields are exceptionally smooth and nearly wiped clean of all original detail
- A rounded shoulder bearing no date
- Nice collars with similar detailing
- Beards created with finely punched diagonal slashes
- Hair created the same way but the slashes are vertical (all hair under the hat brim and over the forehead is engraved and blends well with combined punching)
- Crescent shaped ear
- Smooth domed hat with a brim pointed on both ends (only one contains any added detail)
- Slightly altered profiles
My personal assessment of quality for this carver is above average to above average high.