By Don Wolfe RM981
The first of the two coins I have in my collection and pictured below was purchased in June 2008 on eBay for approximately $200. The second coin was part of a collection I purchased from the widow of a local hobo nickel collector in February 2010. I quickly saw the similar characteristics between the two coins so I started looking for a third coin. I talked to Art DelFavero about these two coins and sent him pictures of them. Art was able to find a third coin in the archives which he provided to me. The subject's hat and old looking coat reminded me of some of the “Scruffy” homeless men I have seen around my town.
The Carving Characteristics for “Scruffy” are listed as follows:
- Similar shaped domed hat with brim that gives the appearance of wrapping around the hat. Brim comes to point front and back and no hat band.
- LIBERTY left on all coins but date has been removed.
- Unaltered profile.
- Hair and beard are carved and beard comes to a point or near point at chin.
- Ear in approximate center of head and partially covered by hat. Center is cutout.
- Collar is two cut lines with an upside down 'V' cut into it. A dot appears just to the left of the 'V.'
- Vertical line cut at front of neck running from beard to collar.
- There is some texturing to the hat and/or the coat.