Introducing The Gambler
By Arturo DelFavero RM552, Chris Dempsey LM 64
An unusual classic carving was won by Chris Dempsey in the early part of 2016. As I recall, the selling eBay member posted a poor quality photo, so the coin went for a moderate price. Upon viewing the offering Chris noticed that this work had potential matches which included a pairing with one in his collection. A triad of matches was soon achieved; this met the criteria for nicknaming.
A few names were mentioned, one being S.E. Grin, this being my personal favorite. Ultimately we settled on Chris's choice. He had noticed a dice shape on the hat bow of two specimens, and this feature ended up as a natural lead to his nickname.
The carving characteristics for "The Gambler" are as follows:
- Hat with accent lines
- Pointed end hat bow with dice shaped center (on two specimens only).
- High on head pointed lobed ears.
- Head and facial hair created with short graver marks.
- Enhanced eyes.
- Enhanced noses with extended nostrils.
- Enhanced cheeks.
- Extreme profile changes.
- Enhanced grinning mouths (teeth added on one example) rare.
- Very similar collars with accent lines and stick pin added.
- LIBERTY left; dates removed in lieu of added detail.
- Neck area very clean.
- Field work clean.