Introducing W T Collard
By Arturo DelFavero RM552, Fred Avan RM908
In February of 2017 Fred Avan purchased a classic era hobo nickel engraved with the name W.T. Collard in the field above the head. This specimen displayed a bearded man wearing a hat and smoking a cigarette. I quickly realized that I had two matches, one smoking a cigarette, the other not, and neither with the additional engraved name added. Clearly all three were executed by the same artist even though they were variables of the same subject. I had purchased one in 2011 (smoking) and the other in 2014. Fred and I kicked around various nicknames but ultimately, we decided on the artist added name.
The Carving Characteristics for "W.T. Collard" are listed as follows:
- Nicely cleaned and burnished fields.
- LIBERTY removed on all three
- Derby hats with curved pointed end brims and hat band with matching bows.
- Head and facial hair created with beading tool or circular punch
- Two are smoking cigarettes with smoke added.
- Nose blunted on end and mild profile alterations evident.
- Small engraved ears that are touching or close to hat brim.
- Tall collars with similarly formed lapels that reach the rim.
- Mouth alterations.
- Cleaned neck area.
- Deliberate back and shoulder area added.