Fred Avan RM908
In September 2009 I won the very nice two-sided hobo nickel below in an eBay auction. I knew I had previously seen carvings resembling this nickel. I contacted Art DelFavero who helped me find some other examples by this same artist including a single sided rendering owned by Verne Walrafen that he won in an eBay auction in May of 2008. I have nicknamed this carver "Sharp Ear" for the ear which tapers down to a sharp point. "Sharp Ear" carved both two-sided and obverse only pieces.
1) Crescent punched beard & hair tuft out from brim in front.
2) Simple straight collar.
3) Profile mostly unaltered (nose profile is slightly rounded & may have notch on some). Nostril slightly enlarged on all.
4) Carved on 1913 Type 1 nickel.
5) Crescent shaped ear much like "Needle Ear" that tapers to a sharp point.
6) Bow tie that is punched.
7) Derby hat with vertical lines on both hatband & bow
8) LIBERTY left in field.
1) Carved on 1913 Type1 nickel.
2) Derby hat with band & bow.
3) Crescent punched hair & beard.
4) Jacket with low hung pocket.
5) Pants that are engraved with both horizontal and vertical lines on leg.
6) Field unaltered; UNITED STATES OF AMERICA and FIVE CENTS remain.