By Chris Dempsey LM64
Ok, I'm not gonna lie, I had a good time writing this article. The finalists for naming alone made matching this carver a fun endeavor. "Potty" nickels are fairly rare, so when I had the opportunity to purchase the first carving shown from a long time hobo nickel collector in early 2013, I jumped at the opportunity.
The second carving came as part of a fairly nice group of nickels I purchased at the 2013 November Baltimore show. While that group cost me a pretty penny, it also included carvings by "Franken-Bo," "The Shark," "Ethnic Eddie," "Braidy," "Sully," and others, so I was tickled to acquire it, despite the high cost.
After acquiring the second coin, I already had nicknames on my mind, since I knew the third coin photo needed to match it was on page one of the "Nice Nickels" section of the old OHNS website. I narrowed it down to six names; "Poopsie," "Moony," "The Logger," "The Loafer," "The Woodsman," and my favorite, "William Shattner." Upon the advice of Marc Banks, I took the high road and went with "The Woodsman" because of the subject's surroundings.
1. Buffalo re-carved into squatting hobo, leaning forward defecating.
2. Small rounded ear and eye.
3. Front legs re-carved into human legs and feet.
4. Sleeved arm at center of coin wraps behind legs.
5. Large buttocks with feces and phallus below.
6. Standard derby with a simple brim.
7. Profile of buffalo re-carved into the face of a man with beard.
8. Folds of shirt carved above buttocks.
9. Grass and bushes carved below and behind hobo.
10. Examples thus far found on early date nickels.