By Arturo DelFavero RM552
In May of 2012, I had the good fortune to win a coin that was a match to one owned by Steve Alpert. O.H.N.S. member Don Wolfe contacted me after a posting of both coins in the "Three's a Match" section in the Fall Bo Tales. Don believed that he had a third example and would send a picture for verification. Upon receipt of the photo it was plain to see that he was correct.
Fast forwarding to the 2013 F.U.N. show, Candace Kagin asked if I would take a look at her enormous collection of hobo nickels, and of course I obliged her. Candace's collection included many interesting coins and one that really caught my attention. It was another match. My $150.00 auction purchase had paid off and yielded a new nicknamed artist. Without further delay, I present to you "Cyrano," a reference to the large nosed, poet, musician, and duelist, etc. Cyrano de Bergerac.
The carving characteristics for "Cyrano" are listed as follows:
1) Large elongated nose.
2) Sculpted three dimensional hat (some with bows).
3) Finely stippled head and facial hair (eye brow included).
4) Nicely sculpted tall ear.
5) Shoulder neck and collar work added.
6) Clean field work (Two appear to be Cameo-like with a line border added).
7) LIBERTY and date obliterated.
8) Profiles altered.
9) Two specimens have amended eyes.